Thursday, December 10, 2020

LJ Hamby, My Grandpa by Bob Kaufman

 

Today I wish to wish to Light the World with this ray from my Family Tree.

#lighttheworld

Lewis Jehu Hamby, LJ Hamby as he was known on the Western Pacific Railroad, was my step-grandfather - the only grandpa I ever knew, and we always called him Lew.  Grandma and Lew lived in Oroville, California during the 50's when my conscious memories began. In the late 40’s, I was too young to remember much.

The California Zephyr in the Feather River Canyon
circa 1960. Photo by John Ryczkowski from his book:
My Western Pacific Railroad. Used with permission.
In his early days as a railroad man, Lew “boomed around” as the railroad men call it, from Alaska to South America. Eventually he settled down in Portola, California before moving to Oroville. Lew finished his career working on the Western Pacific Railroad.

Lew was a Conductor on the famed California Zephyr. He always looked sharp in his conductor's uniform. I remember riding the Vista Dome car through the Feather River Canyon. I think I got the dome seats because of Lew. Sometimes who you know really matters. Once, as the Zephyr was about to depart from the depot at Oroville heading back to Portola, he told me to watch out the window to see when the train began to move. He said the engineer was a master at starting so slowly that one could not feel the movement. He was right! We pulled out of the station without so much as a bump from the slack between the couplers. The first sounds I heard were the rhythmic clacks as the trucks passed over the rail joints.

Family Gathering at Grandma and Lew's home.
Standing: Grandma Hamby, John Kaufman, Wilda Kaufman
Bob Kaufman, Carol Folchi, (?), Lew Hamby.
Front row: (?), Linda Mae Hamby, Jolene Folchi, Daryl Folchi

Many, and warm are my memories of visiting Grandma and Lew in Oroville. In our relatively small family circle, Lew was famous for his pancake-eating prowess … but that’s another story. He had a duck pond surrounded by several tall shade trees, a corn patch beside the house, tall oak trees – perfect for little boys to climb – on the south edge of his “farm”, and a smile that would warm my heart every time I saw him. I do not remember any other expression on his face. His natural speaking voice was high in the tenor range, a bit raspy, but music to my ears.

I can still hear the rustling leaves of those shade trees when a warm breeze happened by and the trickling sound of the creek water as if fell into the pond from a small culvert covered by a wooden footbridge. We didn’t swim in the pond. It was a bit mossy and fouled by the ducks – and it smelled a little! Apparently, one hot, late-summer Oroville day, I passed out helping to pull dried stalks in the corn patch. I remember waking up on the couch with a cold, wet towel on my forehead.

LJ Hamby on his last trip as a Conductor on the California Zephyr
January 31, 1958, Portola, California.
Shaking hands with Engineer Fuller.
In recognition for one of many kind deeds to his fellowmen, at the time of his retirement in 1958, Lew received a letter from the State of California Governor, Goodwin J. Knight, thanking him for the kindness he showed the Governor while riding the Zephyr.

As the story goes, the Governor was traveling to the Feather River Inn, a dozen miles west of Portola. Since Portola was the only scheduled stop, he wondered how we would get to the Inn. Lew told the Governor not to worry – he would get him to the Inn. When the Zephyr reached the crossing at Mohawk, just a short distance from the Inn, Lew stopped the train and Governor Knight got off. Sometimes, who you know matters, even when you’re the Governor! Everyone who knew Lew Hamby was blessed by his kindness.

In the days when my heroes were the likes of Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, and Chuck Yeager, Lew Hamby was top on my list!

2 comments:

  1. I love that this story was not lost! Thanks for sharing Grandpa Lew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never called him Grandpa. He was always just "Lew".

    ReplyDelete